Andrew J. Brien
Phone: (713) 333-5974
Fax: (713) 337-8850
Andrew J. Brien is a trial attorney in the firm’s Houston office. Andrew’s practice focuses on complex civil litigation, including energy litigation, financial litigation, product liability litigation, property and casualty insurance litigation, labor and employment litigation, and general business litigation. Andrew is a problem solver that enjoys getting clients out of difficult situations in an efficient, cost-effective manner. Andrew was recognized by Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers – 2022 Louisiana Rising Stars in the practice area of business litigation, and he was also recognized by Best Lawyers in America as a Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2022): Oil and Gas Law.
Prior to joining MH in 2022, Andrew was an associate at a regional, New Orleans-based firm. Andrew’s experience includes a mixed litigation practice representing landowners in expropriation and condemnation claims and other property matters combined with general oil and gas litigation experience. He has represented landowners in various negotiation and litigation matters involving disputes with oil and gas pipeline companies/operators for failure to pay royalties and right of ways or servitudes. His experience also includes the representation of oil and gas operators in defense of Louisiana legacy lawsuits involving historical oil and gas contamination. As part of this representation, Andrew led the drafting of a summary judgment motion on Louisiana’s subsequent purchaser doctrine that achieved dismissal of a named plaintiff despite that another division of the same court decided the same issue interpreting the same contract in favor of the plaintiffs. Andrew also authored portions of the appellate briefs on appeal of the district court’s ruling. The Louisiana First Circuit Court of Appeal affirmed the judgment, and the Louisiana Supreme Court denied the plaintiffs’ application for writ of certiorari.
He has also represented an independent oil and gas operator in a joint operating dispute that was litigated in Harris County, and Andrew assisted in the investigation and representation of an independent oil and gas operator following an explosion event. That representation included filing a lawsuit in federal court and defense of the operator in OSHA’s investigation of the casualty. Andrew has also represented an independent oil and gas operator in the negotiation of various oilfield contracts, including master service agreements and dedication agreements, and he also advised that client regarding its procurement of various insurance covers.
Andrew received his Bachelor of Science in Finance in 2013 from LSU’s E.J. Ourso College of Business. After graduating from LSU, Andrew obtained a Louisiana Property & Casualty Producer License, which provides clients a unique perspective on insurance-related insight. He then received his J.D. from Tulane University Law School in 2016 where he graduated cum laude. During his time at Tulane, he externed for the Honorable John L. Weimer—now Chief Justice—at the Louisiana Supreme Court, was awarded a certificate for successful completion of Tulane’s Admiralty & Maritime Law Program, and he received recognition for his pro bono service due to his trip to Panama as part of Tulane Law School’s Global Brigades program.
Outside of his legal practice, Andrew serves on the development and advocacy committees of the Pontchartrain Conservancy and served as class chair of his five-year reunion from Tulane Law. As a native Louisianian, Andrew enjoys fishing, hunting, golfing, and generally spending time outdoors with his wife, daughter, and golden retriever. He also enjoys experiencing Houston’s diverse and delicious dining establishments.
- Best Lawyers in America – Ones to Watch
- Oil and Gas Law (2022 and 2023)
- Labor and Employment Law Management (2023)
- Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers – 2022 Louisiana Rising Stars
- Best Lawyers in America – Ones to Watch (2022): Oil and Gas Law
- CALI Award for Excellence in Towage & Offshore Services
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Tulane University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2016
- Louisiana State University, B.S., Finance, E.J Ourso College of Business, 2013