Jennifer H. Chung
Phone: (713) 337-5595
Fax: (713) 333-6053
Jennifer Chung is a partner at McDowell Hetherington’s Houston office. She focuses on life, health and disability matters, and is a leader of the firm’s managed care and stop loss insurance practices. Jennifer has handled federal and state court lawsuits and arbitrations in more than half the states across the country and also manages a profitable contingency docket of hundreds of matters enforcing reimbursement and subrogation rights against third party recoveries. Prior to joining the firm in 2016, Jennifer litigated commercial disputes at a boutique firm.
Jennifer is a member of the Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court, the Houston Bar Association and the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association and SIIA. Jennifer serves as a director for the University of Houston Law Foundation and is on the steering committee for her alma mater’s Women of the Law alumni group. Jennifer is also an adjunct professor at the University of Houston Law Center.
- Judicial Intern for the Honorable David Hittner, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Summary judgment in favor of client on ERISA benefit dispute in the Eastern District of Oklahoma that was confirmed by the Tenth Circuit.
- Summary judgment in favor of stop loss carrier that was confirmed by the Missouri Court of Appeals.
- Affirmation by the Texas Fifth Court of Appeals of dismissal of lawsuit against Medicaid plan after oral argument.
- Dismissal of ERISA lawsuit in Kansas.
- Judgment in favor of third-party administrator in ERISA lawsuit in Eastern District of Arkansas.
- Take-nothing arbitration award after hearing and briefing against claimant/hospital seeking to recover in excess of $1 million.
- Judgment on behalf of insurer client against agent in Connecticut.
- Dispositive arbitral rulings in dispute brought by hospital system seeking millions of dollars on thousands of claims.
- Numerous favorable settlements on behalf of multiple clients involving life insurance, ERISA, and disability matters.
- Numerous favorable settlements for stop loss carrier and managing general underwriter clients.
- Millions of dollars in reimbursement and subrogation for health plans and health insurers.
- Litigation Perspectives on ESL Claims and Disclosure Issues – webinar hosted by RGA.
- ERISA training for carrier client.
- Communication and negotiation training for carrier client’s analysts.
- Trial/Arbitration CLE training for firm’s associates.
- NITA deposition training faculty.
- Claims Issues from a Litigation Perspective – RGA Symposium.
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the District of New Mexico
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- The University of Houston Law Center, J.D., Order of the Barristers, 2013
- University of California, San Diego, B.A., Political Science/International Relations and minor in Organic Chemistry, 2006