Jodi K. Swick
Phone: (510) 628-2194
Fax: (510) 628-2146
Office: NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Jodi K. Swick is the founding partner of McDowell Hetherington’s California office. During her career, Jodi has been recognized as a stand-out attorney. She was named by San Francisco Business Times as one of its “40 Under 40.” This award identifies the forty most influential young leaders across a spectrum of Bay Area businesses — all under forty and all high achievers for their companies, industries, and the community.
Jodi is known by her clients for her ability to take on tough cases and favorably resolve them. She has been victorious on dispositive motions and at trial as well as negotiated settlements on what clients viewed as “impossible to resolve” cases. Jodi recently obtained a complete defense verdict for her client after a nine-week jury trial that sought contractual, punitive, and treble damages.
Jodi’s specialty is representing insurance company clients in coverage, bad faith, financial elder abuse, and extra-contractual disputes. She litigates complex insurance matters in California, Washington, and federal courts nationwide. Jodi has handled cases in virtually every line of coverage with limits and benefits ranging from a hundred thousand dollars to hundreds of millions of dollars. Her experience includes general liability, personal lines, entertainment liability, errors and omissions, employment liability, health, life, disability, ERISA, and professional liability policies.
Jodi ‘s practice also specializes in class action and complex business matters that have been pursued under a wide variety of consumer protection laws. She has represented insurers, financial institutions, pharmaceutical companies, manufacturing companies, start-ups and other businesses against claims of unfair competition law in U.S. courts and international forums. These matters include alleged violations under Section 17200 of the California Business and Professions Code as well as alleged false advertising claims and violations of the California Insurance Code, California Homeowners Bill of Rights (CHOB), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).
- Litigation Counsel of America – Fellow, 2016-2021
- Super Lawyers Rising Star for 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2017
- Named as San Francisco Business Times’ 40 Under 40
- MH California recognized by Chambers & Partners for Insurance Law, 2015, 2016 and 2017
- Secured dismissal with prejudice for insurer client on breach of contract and bad faith claims in a ruling from the federal district court.
- Achieved dismissal with prejudice for financial industry client in matter alleging bank fraud and conversion.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of nationwide class action lawsuit for insurer client alleging violations of California Business and Professions Code Section 17200, violations of the California Insurance Code, and business torts.
- Negotiated favorable settlement of lawsuit for insurer client involving alleged violations of Insurance Fair Conduct Act and bad faith seeking attorneys’ fees and extra-contractual damages under Washington law.
- Successfully negotiated a favorable settlement resolving product liability claims against a manufacturer of heavy machinery.
- Obtaining dismissal of claims and award of attorneys’ fees under California’s Anti-SLAPP statute based on erroneous allegations of tortious interference with contract.
- Successfully resolving a coverage dispute in international arbitration relating to underlying claims for MTBE contamination of ground water.
- Obtained a stipulated judgment in the amount of $81 million for the South Coast Air Quality Management District for air emission violations at a Southern California oil refinery.
- Obtained summary judgment for client prevailing on copyright and intellectual property claims related to website and related photographs.
- Favorably resolving a claim for coverage under an errors and omissions policy related to upcoming release of a motion picture.
- Obtaining a favorable, published court of appeal decision overturning the lower court on a breach of contract and tortious interference claim.
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall), J.D., 2003
- Texas Tech University, B.A., political science, summa cum laude, 1999