John T. Burnite
Phone: (510) 879-3435
Fax: (510) 628-2146
Office: NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
John Burnite has more than 25 years of litigation experience, predominately handling bad faith and insurance coverage matters. John also represents insurers, plans, and employers in ERISA claims arising from group disability and life insurance disputes. His litigation background encompasses cases involving fraud, elder (financial) abuse, ADA, punitive damages, premises liability, product liability, Business & Professions Code Section 17200 claims, rescission, interpleader, declaratory relief, as well as assisting clients with fraud and arson investigations by taking EUOs. He has been retained to defend clients in high-stakes matters.
John has secured successful resolutions for clients at every phase of litigation through dispositive motions, settlements, and trials. In one trial, an insurer defeated claims for breach of contract and extra-contractual damages when a federal judge found the insured committed fraud during the presentation of the insurance claim. In another trial, after first obtaining summary judgment on the bad faith and punitive damages claims, John defeated the remaining contract claim for disability benefits upon a finding that the insured’s medical condition was not caused by accident.
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., 1992
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1987