Phone: (817) 659-2620
Fax: (817) 635-7308
Office: DALLAS/FT. WORTH
Justin serves clients from MH’s DFW Office and focuses his practice on appeals and litigation. A former law clerk to federal trial and appellate judges, Justin has experience with a wide-range of complex issues litigated in federal court, including False Claims Act and qui tam cases. His work also extends to internal investigations, arbitrations, disputes under the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act, and adversary proceedings in bankruptcy court. Justin has earned recognition as a “Best Lawyer Under 40” by D Magazine and is a seven-time Super Lawyers “Texas Rising Star.”
Justin dedicates significant time to public and community service, primarily in education. He currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the Arlington Independent School District, where he represents the interests of approximately 400,000 constituents, 57,000 students, and 8,500 employees as one of seven publicly-elected representatives. He also represents the interests of over 1,000 school districts in Texas as a member of the Board of Directors of the Texas Association of School Boards. Justin has served on a variety of nonprofit boards and advisory committees, including the Board of Directors of United Way of Tarrant County. He previously taught high school government and economics and worked in a legal clinic focusing on education law.
- Represents clients in federal district court litigation, including commercial disputes, adversary proceedings, and class actions, including as local counsel
- Represents clients ranging from multinational corporations to growing businesses in False Claims Act cases involving a variety of subject matters brought by the Department of Justice, state attorneys general, and qui tam relators
- Represented a federally-recognized Indian tribe in federal district court, the Fifth Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court against the State of Texas in a complex administrative-law dispute governed by the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act
- Represented the plan committee of an electronics retailer on appeal in the Fifth Circuit in ERISA class-action litigation.
- Represented an agriculture-related small business and its owner on appeal in the Fifth Circuit in an administrative and constitutional challenge to a federal agency’s rulemaking.
- Represented a prominent entertainment and sports production company on appeal in the Fifth Circuit in a trademark enforcement proceeding.
- Represented a Fortune 50 company on appeal in the Ninth Circuit in finance-related litigation.
- Represented a leading retailer on appeal in the Ninth Circuit in commercial litigation.
- Represented a leading food producer in multiple appeals in the Tenth Circuit and in the New Mexico Supreme Court in employment discrimination cases.
- Represented a major automobile manufacturer in federal district court in third-party discovery litigation.
- Represented one of the world’s largest business associations as amicus curiae in the Texas Supreme Court
- Represents clients in nonpublic proceedings against federal and state administrative agencies and regulatory bodies.
- Advises on appellate briefing, procedural, and other matters.
- Advises candidates for local office in Texas on campaign-finance matters and Texas Ethics Commission rules and proceedings.
AWARDS & SERVICE
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers (2017-2023)
- “Best Lawyers Under 40,” D Magazine (2022)
- “40 Under 40”, Arlington Chamber of Commerce and Arlington Today Magazine
- Stewardship Award, Fort Worth Business Press
- State Bar of Texas, Appellate Section
- State Bar of Texas, Litigation Section
- Director, Region 11C, Texas Association of School Boards
- Trustee, Place 5, Arlington Independent School District
- United Way of Tarrant County
- Arlington ISD Education Foundation
- Arlington Public Library Foundation
- City of Arlington Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee
- Arlington ISD Citizens Bond Oversight Committee (2014 Bond)
- Arlington ISD Financial Futures Committee
- Arlington ISD Capital Needs Steering Committee
- Arlington ISD Citizens Bond Oversight Committee (2009 Bond)
- Co-Founder, Chapa-Salas Scholarship
- Leadership Arlington
- President, American Legion Boys Nation
- Executive Board, Stanford Law Review
- Executive Board, Stanford Journal of Civil Rights & Civil Liberties
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fifth, Ninth, Tenth Circuits
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
- Clerkship to the Hon. Catharina Haynes of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Clerkship to the Hon. David C. Godbey of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 2010
- Stanford Graduate School of Education, M.Ed., 2010
- Harvard University, B.A., cum laude, 2005