Matthew T. Caldwell
Phone: (713) 337-8841
Fax: (713) 337-8850
Matthew Caldwell is a litigator in the firm’s Houston office. Matthew’s practice includes a wide variety of complex commercial litigation matters throughout the country. Matthew has experience representing clients in fraud, breach of contract, trade secret, non-compete, whistleblower, tax, employment, and complex insurance cases. Matthew has significant experience counseling clients at every stage of litigation, including developing cost-effective litigation strategies, navigating discovery disputes, negotiating favorable settlements, and representing clients in court and administrative proceedings. Matthew is also very skilled in conducting investigations, both internal and external, to uncover relevant facts and determine the circumstances surrounding claims. Matthew also has experience as a legal consultant, providing in-depth reviews of policies and procedures and providing detailed recommendations to ensure clients minimize potential liability for violation federal and state regulations.
During law school at the University of Michigan Law School, Matthew worked as a prosecutor for the Major Drug Unit of the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, where he prosecuted a large caseload involving the possession and distribution of, and homicides related to, controlled substances. Before law school, Matthew worked for several years in the financial services industry conducting fraud investigations and underwriting for several national insurance companies. Matthew is also a disabled veteran, having been discharged due to injuries he sustained while serving in the United States Marine Corps.
Outside of the office, Matthew will be found wearing some sort of University of Michigan or Wolverhampton F.C. apparel. When he is not working, he enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, and spending time off the grid.
- Negotiated favorable resolution of SOX-related whistleblower claims raised by a financial services executive.
- Negotiated favorable separation agreement for a senior executive at a major media company.
- Negotiated favorable resolution of litigation concerning breach of a distribution and sales agreement for a national retailer.
- Successfully represented numerous clients being investigated by the IRS for tax fraud related to alleged fraudulent tax filings, resulting in full and complete clearance of clients with no fines or fees assessed.
- Negotiated favorable resolution of litigation concerning theft of trade secrets, tortious interference, and defamation for an international fluid analysis company.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of client’s counterclaims and favorably resolved all remaining claims in a breach of contract and employment action.
- Negotiated favorable resolution of premises liability claims for an international chemicals company.
- Negotiated favorable resolution of breach of contract and related employment claims for national recruiting firm.
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2014
- Western Governors University, B.S. Accounting, 2012